Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Turkeys in the Mouse House

It all began this past weekend...... I KNEW it would happen. I could predict it. Even though he is a wonderful guy, I could count on him doing this.... and he did. Let me explain. Mark and I made up a HUGE grocery list for this holiday as we will be hosting our 3 children for 4-5 days. I envisioned filling the car with BAGS of food etc. from several grocery stores (several because I STILL haven't found the perfect one). And then Mark disappeared while I was cleaning up breakfast. And when I looked for him..... he was in the driveway with THE BIKES out and his trailer attached to his and he wanted me (the slug) to RIDE AROUND TOWN to get groceries. When I started to protest, he said that we could carry everything in his handy dandy trailer. After all, isn't that why he got it? Now remember, I have only been riding about 20 minutes at a time (try 2 times) as training. So a marathon shopping expedition in traffic following a trailer overflowing with bags for MILES was not my idea of fun. I suggested a compromise.... we would go to the Farmers' Market and ONE grocery (the closest!) by bike and then the rest by car. Mark was crestfallen but he saw that determined gleam in my eye and realized that half a loaf was better than none. So off we went. And it was chilly and my nose was running and I didn't have Kleenex (I hadn't figured out the purse thing for bike riding yet) and Mark kept shouting things out to me which I couldn't hear..... but we made it. I suppose I should tell you that the Farmers' Market is 2.5 blocks away.... well, I never said I was an athlete! Buying local produce like persimmons and fresh shitake mushrooms and the absolute MOST sweetest grapes in the world is really fun. And the grocery store was just a few blocks more. So I bit the bullet and didn't complain.... at least not so Mark could hear. After getting home and emptying that cute little trailer, we jumped in the car and finished up the list - having to go to 2 more stores. Rather time consuming. So now we have more food than this little house can hold. And I have cleaned every nook and cranny - 2 hours instead of 1. And the kids will sleep in the master closet and under the desk in the office. At least in NoCal, the weather allows you to spend lots of time outside. Which will be good. We will huddle around our raised firepit (in the driveway of course) while we take turns running into the house to use the tiny bathroom. When we are all inside..... well, we will see. I'll fill you in nest week. But at least we will be together and well fed. Happy Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! Just wanted to say how much I love reading your blog. ~Lauren!

    ReplyDelete