Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I've Found It At Last!

It has only taken me three months of weekly searching to finally find it. I have scoured all areas of San Jose, Santa Clara and even Milpitas to find the perfect one. And at last, I have found it. Lucky's. The perfect grocery store. I actually found it two weeks ago. But I wanted to be sure before I announced to the world - my blog world - that the search was over. And I went back today and it was still just as wonderful. I even tested another store by the same name - a branch in the chain. But it was not quite right. So this one will now be MY store. Yes, I know. It is not the most convenient being 8.9 miles away. In Maine, I drove 5.8 miles to reach the perfect store. But, it seems that here in NoCal, one must make sacrifices for perfection. So, you are asking, what is so perfect about this store? Let me tell you. The fruits and vegetables are a joy to behold. Nothing slimey or half-dead or picked over. You want fresh herbs? Got 'em. Celery root? Yup. Zucchini AND Mexican squash? Sure thing. And every time I have been in, there is a red-bearded man with a clip board checking, observing, evaluating as if the veg had better behave OR ELSE. Now on to yogurts..... not only do they have all the ones I like, but others I've never heard of. And a WHOLE SECTION of gourmet Italian meats, sausages, cheeses..... Yum! The meats are fresh and reasonably priced. I even compared the cost of paper towels at my perfect store with the price at Target and Target lost. The staff is very helpful. I was wandering around looking for something and one of the clerks restocking shelves stopped and took me to what I was searching for. While looking for vitamins located right in front of the pharmacy, both the pharmacist AND her assistant asked if they could help me find something. But the icing on the cake was finding Old Amsterdam gouda cheese. This cheese is one Mark and I discovered in Amsterdam and we could never find it here. But, there it was...... in my Lucky's! Now, when I went to check out the first time, I saw a long line at the only opened check-out. So I thought to myself - quite cleverly I might add - that I would just use the self-service checkout and beat the line. What I didn't realize is that the self-service is set up for people getting just a FEW things. Not me getting a HUGE basketful AND wanting to put everything in my own cloth bags. But I was part way through when I realized this. The lady-in-the-machine-with-the-rectal-suppository-salesperson voice was telling me she had to get assistance from someone in the store to approve my "Skip Bagging" option AGAIN. By this time I wanted to give her some ASSistance! The cute young sweet clerk assigned to babysit this checkout area and help inept customers like me just smiled at me as she waved her hands over her screen. I started to apologize saying I was sorry but I really wanted to use my cloth bags. She just smiled and said, "I'm glad you are using them too." Wow. I will add that the last time I went, I used the regular line. While the great selection, pleasant surroundings (clean, well-lit), helpful staff are all big plusses, I must admit that it just FEELS good to shop there. I can wander up and down the aisles being inspired by ingredients. I can decide to make lamb curry when I get to the meat section and see some good lamb. And then I KNOW where to find the rest of the fixings without wandering aimlessly back and forth. I will make some great old favorites this week like jambalya as well as some new recipes. I know I can do this, despite the stove-from-Hell, because I have found my Lucky's.

No comments:

Post a Comment