Tuesday, November 17, 2009

FInding My Way Out of the South Bay

We live near an airport. I mean NEAR. I can watch the planes coming in for a landing and often wave to the passengers as they eagerly stare out the window.... well, maybe not QUITE that close. But, in my efforts to shift my paradigm, I decided to take public transportation to catch my flight to Oregon. So I walked to the VTA light rail. I passed roses, bougainvillea in bloom, green grass..... and, with a small carry-on-type rollie, easily made it to the station. I purchased the $2 ticket and waited about 5 minutes before a train arrived. I rolled aboard - the train lines up with the platform so there are no steps - and found a seat in the almost empty car. We rode a few stops and I got off. Across the street is the bus which takes you right to the Departures section of the airport for FREE. Again, the bus was at the stop as I arrived and left 10 minutes after I boarded. So from my house - to the airport - through check-in was 45 minutes. And no hassle with cars to park and expensive parking fees. Very civilized... the flight was easy too. Horizon gives its passengers who are over 21 complimentary beer and wine of the month. AND snacks - again FOR FREE. Oregon winter weather had begun so it was cool, misty/rainy, gray skies.... a nice change from SUN SUN SUN! And I enjoyed wearing a heavy sweater..... and a raincoat.... and avoiding puddles because I didn't have rubber boots on. But seeing my "kids" was great. This was the first time I had ever stayed with them. That was interesting. I tried hard to be a good guest and not a picky mother/mother-in-law. That can be tricky at times..... Like staying out of their disagreements and not being too high-maintenance about meals (WHAT???? No hazelnut coffee???) and saying "Sure I can stay up until midnight while you finish this quest on World of Warcraft son" (I was sleeping in the living room RIGHT next to the computer). But everyone gave a little and it was really fun. We went to a baby shower for the Lump(my first grandchild) and her parents on Saturday. It was a bit strange.... knowing that when people look at me and see the graying hair and a FEW wrinkles they can easily see "grandmother-to-be". But looking out from MY side, I see it all as if I was maybe..... 40ish? I suppose that this is pretty normal. But it's my first time and it does feel a bit weird. Sunday my son and I went to Portland to hear/see an Oregon Symphony performance of "Video Games Live". This is a production created and performed by Jack Wall and Tommy Tallarico. Wall is the conductor and Tallarico is the host and composer of many video game scores. Now, I must admit, my knowledge of video games was small..... I remember when Roo got Nintendo's Mario Brothers for Christmas 25+ years ago. That catchy little tune (do,do,do,do,do DODADO) drove me crazy. But I never thought of it as a serious MUSICAL COMPOSITION. Boy, was I wrong. This show featured the Oregon Symphony, the Pacific Youth Choir, 3 GIANT screens for video display and lights (strobe, swirling/flashing/blinding lights). While the orchestra/chorus performed music from video games, the games were projected on the screens behind them. It was AMAZING!!! To see the evolution from the simple Lego-like characters and basic moves of the early games to the highly sophisticated complex graphics of today's games was inspiring. Many are based in fantasy or the future and have very complicated stories and characters. Roo has played War Craft since it started. On the drive home, I asked him to explain the game to me. He talked ANIMATEDLY for 2 hours about the history, the characters, the strategy, the technical aspects...... it was quite an eye opener. And at the concert - the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall was PACKED. I think I was the oldest person in the place. And every time a new piece of music started, the audience would shriek and yell out the name of the game and jump up and down and go wild. Where have I been all this time????? There are 11 million people in the world playing War Craft alone!!!! And 2 of the members in Roo's guild are a husband-wife team stationed at Ft Hood. Roo knew more about the Ft. Hood shooting before it was even on the news. Whoever thought that gaming would be a powerful tool of information dissemination. I know that Twitter has become a new way to learn about events in the world, but gaming? And then when we got home, Roo had to get online and finish a quest and sell stuff at the War Craft auction - stuff he found or won in previous quests like silver and gold and purple lotus.... you know, important stuff! I was watching over his shoulder asking questions and making comments.... and it was getting late..... and poor tired mama-to-be finally said she was going to bed..... and Clint and I - with eyes glued to the screen because he was in the middle of killing THREE scorpions that had attacked him and if he killed them all he would move up a level and it was very tense - mumbled something about see you in the morning.... and then I realized...... I could be a gamer too when I got home...... Hmmm.........

No comments:

Post a Comment