Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Little Help from Some New Friends

I have been trying to find replacements for many of the aspects of the New England life. For example, a grocery store, dry cleaners, eye doctor, hair cutter...... you get the idea. In my effort to move into the 21st C and do things differently, I have been using the Internet to find some of these things rather than the yellow pages, my old favorite. Through this new method, I found Erin who cut my hair. She had great reviews, the store was in downtown and easily reached on light rail (another part of changing - less driving, more public transportation/walking) and she could fit me in soon. Not only that, but she has LOTS of cool tattoos and the most beautiful shade of teal in her hair. She did a great job of trimming me up (it was that or a flea collar and leash!). Then I went to pay........ Toto, we aren't in New England anymore! THAT part of city life I could do without. Mark and I will be out of town in December and I need to find the South Bay version of Happy Cats (a great place to board your cat back in New England). While I am willing to test out a new place I find on the Internet (after all, hair WILL grow back), I was less comfortable finding a place for Daisy that way. So I have been putting it off. Then yesterday I went to a meeting of a Quilting group at a local community center. Julie (wife of person who works with Mark and hostess of the first dinner at someone's home event) had invited me to join her. She said you don't have to quilt to come. And she asked if I would bring some of my felting as several people in the group had expressed an interest in that. So I dug through the boxes in the garage, found a few pieces, programmed Garmin Nuvi and off I went. This was the first real outing on my own where I would have to interact with REAL Californians. Would they talk funny or have a different sense of humor? Of course I got there before Julie and felt a bit awkward. But a very friendly person came right up to me, introduced herself and got me settled in. As more people arrived, they signed in, found a seat at the table and pulled out some handwork - quilts, cross stitch, knitting, crewel work..... When everyone had arrived, one member quieted the group and started the "sharing". They go around the table and share what they are working on getting feedback, comments and questions. Some of the work was truly inspiring. It's interesting to be the new person in a group. Because I didn't know anyone (except Julie), I could observe the group dynamics. There is the Organizer - the person who comes early, sets up the refreshments, puts out the sign-up sheets, reminds people of upcoming dates.... And there is the Gatekeeper - if you share too long, she cuts you off and says brusquely "We have alot of people and we have to keep moving!". There is the Harmonizer who wants to keep everyone happy. It all went very smoothly and all had a good time. And I found out lots of good stuff..... like the name of someone who is very gentle and will come to the mouse house to catsit Daisy. Hearing a real person describe the cat sitter and recommend her was comforting - not something easily felt by reading a list online. It's good to get a little help from new friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment