Tuesday, November 17, 2009

How to Fit 3000 lbs into a 500 lb house

So the unpacking continues...... I was ruthless as I weeded out shoes. When I made piles by color, I thought "Honestly! Who needs 5 pair of black shoes when you only have 1 pair of feet! BE RUTHLESS!" (the new motto). So off some went into bags for Goodwill or whatever they have out here - that is another project. I did read that you can recycle textiles. So the really ratty stuff doesn't have to go in the bottom of the Good Will bag (hoping that they won't notice until you have driven away...) but can be recycled. The master dressing room now has piles on the floor and couch and everywhere (remember, that is the original master bedroom but the closet door which opens into the middle of the room doesn't allow for a bed anywhere but in the corner - and we put a fold out couch in there for guests who will feel like they are sleeping in a walk-in closet which they are!). So I am going to deal with all that today. And then the front room/office which is even worse. You see, as I unpack boxes and I come across something I don't know where to put...... into the office it goes. One other aspect about recycling here - in San Francisco they have started sorting all garbage into three groups - trash, recyclables and organic wet food-type stuff (including meat, bones etc.). We will get a compost bin (probably online - our new favorite place to shop) and start our own 3 grouping as soon as the dust settles a bit more.
My car came yesterday. So now all our stuff is here..... well, that is all BUT Mark's darkroom and workshop stuff which he ran off and left to be packed....????? It feels good to have my car here - a bit of home from away. My grandmother used to say that her car was like her cup of coffee. She liked the way the seat and steering wheel and mirrors were JUST RIGHT. And she liked the familiar sounds and feels and smells when she got in and started it up. I can now appreciate those small joys. I tried a new grocery shopping experience - Target and Trader Joe's combo. Hmmmmm......... Target has all the paper/cleaning type stuff and even some food stuff (crackers, milk, yogurt, cereal). But is still lacking. And Trader Joe's has lots of wine (EVERY store - even Target - has LOTS of wine) and nuts and interesting entrees - both fresh and frozen. But the produce all comes in packages - just microwave in the bag! - and it also lacks stuff (like no cole slaw). AND it is expensive. So next week I'll try another store.
Other cute things about this house and neighborhood: our mail is dropped through a slot in the front door and goes "Plop!" on the floor when it arrives. To have a letter picked up, just leave it hanging in the slot and it magically disappears. And the gardener who cares for the lawn next door comes on Thursdays at 7:30am. I can hear the edger and mower going. We are developing a routine - Mark gets up at 6am and I wait until he is out of the bathroom before I get up as there is only room for 1 in the bathroom at a time. We have breakfast and he leaves by 7am. Then I blog/note and sometimes sneak back into bed to read a bit and then start organizing more stuff. Daisy the cat likes the back-to-bed part best. Today is laundry day. And while I can clean this place in an hour, the laundry will take AT LEAST all day. The washer is so small that I can't even fit 1 set of towels in it. So yes, you only use a gallon of water..... BUT you do three times the loads. Well, the machine is done so I best get busy or it will be dinner time and I'll only have done 2 loads!

No comments:

Post a Comment