Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Finding a Granny Pantie Grocery

So I went to ANOTHER grocery store yesterday in search of just the right one. And yes, I broke down and went to a Safeway. I have to explain to those of you who might be wondering why I would be so anti-Safeway..... It reminds me of Shaw's in New England. I don't like the idea of having all my purchases tracked by a SAFEWAY CARD just to get decent prices. So, now that I've whined, I'll get on with it..... I was wandering around the store feeling a bit ..... well, MORE than a bit - annoyed. Every aisle including produce was full of HUGE carts being used by employees for restocking. The rabbit warren of a produce department had most of the aisles blocked. I know, I know. If I didn't have a chip on my shoulder to start off, I wouldn't have been so frustrated. Anyway, I'm weaving down an aisle FULL of empty boxes tossed on the floor by a woman restocking when my phone rings/vibrates. It's my New England daughter whining (it IS genetic) about an exam she has to take.... Instead of being sympathetic, I start barking at her to get over it. "Woah, Mom. I was just commenting..." "Oh, sorry dear. It's just that I'm shopping in Safeway...." "OH" she says in a knowing voice. Then, all of a sudden, I wonder.... why am I SOOOO obsessed with finding the PERFECT grocery store???? After all, food is food and it's not like Mark and I are starving or have no choices or CAN'T ADAPT??!! But as I think about how much I enjoyed going to Hannaford's, I realize that it's alot like wearing comfortable undies. You know, the "granny panties" that don't ride up, pinch your waist and thighs and feel so good. You put them on and then forget about them all day. I walked into Hannaford's and knew I would find all the ingredients for any recipe I wanted and I even knew where to find it. No thinking.... no stressing out if it wasn't there..... no wedgies..... The Shaws and Safeways are like the thongs of life for me - not enough there and always rubbing me the wrong way. I am looking for San Jose's tidy whitey grocery. I think I'm a flexible enlightened person..... but maybe when it comes to grocery stores, I'm not. I must say that my hunt has led me into many interesting stores. Living in the South Bay, we have several Asian grocery stores. Mark and I stopped in one after dinner out. I found the cutest little plastic bottles shaped as fish with little red screw tops. Mark said they were for soy sauce in children's school lunches. Next to them were the cutest little sets of chop sticks in pastel colors with little bears and rabbits on them and little plastic cases to store them.... also for children's lunches. And then in Mi Pueblo, the Hispanic market they have Pan de Muerto (Day of the Dead bread). I will go out today and get some. So it isn't all bad in my searching...... and who knows? Next week, I'll have stories about Halloween NoCal style.

No comments:

Post a Comment